MEN'S BOMBER JACKET
There’s a reason why bomber jackets are engineered for warmth: The earliest bomber jackets for men were designed to keep pilots warm during flights in open-air cockpits.
The first standard flight jacket, the A-1, was introduced by the U.S. Army in 1927. It featured many of the details we associate with bomber jackets today, including a short blouson style body, tight-knit waistband and cuffs, and a leather outer to provide protection from wind.
The US Air Force created the popular MA-1 bomber jacket in 1955 when it removed the fur collar from the B-15 bomber jacket. The MA-1 was one of the first outerwear garments to make the leap from military issue to civilian favorite when it became synonymous with the punk culture of the 1980s. What started as a jacket to protect airmen from the elements has become a versatile closet staple for men looking to showcase their style while keeping warm.
BEST BOMBER JACKETS AND FLIGHT JACKETS FOR MEN
Every Alpha Industries bomber jacket has the recognizable details of a historic flight jacket, with a wide range of style variations to suit personal preferences.
- Classic MA-1: The MA-1 was the first pilot jacket to transition to civilian fashion. Alpha Industries’ Heritage MA-1 bomber jacket stays true to classic military specifications, and is ideal for those looking for a vintage bomber jacket look and a weightier style for cold weather. The MA-1 also comes in slim-fit and hooded variations, as well as seasonal colors and limited-edition collaboration styles.
- Hooded: Perfect for spring weather, Alpha Industries’ L-2B hooded bomber jackets have a nylon hood and lightweight outer shell. The hooded MA-1 bomber jacket is ideal for colder temperatures, thanks to its quilted lining. All of our bomber jackets are water-resistant.
- Sherpa: Made for the coldest temperatures and inspired by the earliest bomber jackets, Alpha Industries' B-3 sherpa bomber jackets are lined with fleece and constructed with either real or faux distressed leather.
- Quilted: Both the MA-1 and L-2B bomber jackets come in quilted styles. The quilted MA-1 provides enhanced insulation for fall and winter weather, while the quilted L-2B is lightweight enough for spring temperatures.
- Lightweight: If you’re looking for a lightweight bomber jacket, opt for the L-2B—a style designed for temperatures between 42 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. This nylon bomber jacket is water resistant and comes complete with heritage oxygen tab detail. It’s available in hooded and quilted styles, plus a loose-fitting option for an oversized look.
HOW TO STYLE A MEN'S BOMBER JACKET
A big part of flight jackets’ enduring appeal is their versatility—every outfit can be a bomber jacket outfit.
You can wear a bomber jacket with hoodies or t-shirts on casual days, or dress them up with a button-down shirt. They work just as well with jeans, chinos, and cargo pants as they do with joggers, shorts, and track pants.
Alpha Industries’ men's bomber jackets come in four different fits.
Our Core Fit is true to military specifications, and reflects authentic military silhouettes. Each Core style —including the MA-1 Bomber Jacket (Heritage), CWU 45/P bomber jacket, and B-15 bomber jacket (Heritage) has a different fit, but they generally have extra room in the body and sleeves. This makes them a great option if you want to wear a bomber jacket over a thick hoodie or sweatshirt. The same goes for our L-2B loose bomber jackets, a lightweight style cut with an oversized fit.
Our Standard Fit items are moderately fitted in the body and sleeves, making them a versatile pick for work and weekends. Most L-2B bomber jackets fall into this category, as does the MA-1 Quilted Bomber Jacket and the B-3 Sherpa Bomber Jacket.
And for those who prefer an ultra-streamlined fit, the MA-1 Slim Fit Bomber Jacket is our most closely fitted jacket in the body and sleeves.
Alpha Industries’ military-inspired menswear collection was designed to pair well with bomber jackets—check it out for everything you need to complete your look.
WHY ALPHA INDUSTRIES BOMBER JACKETS?
Alpha Industries has been manufacturing bomber jackets for over 60 years. The quality, history, and innovation of our military heritage are all reflected in our styles for civilians. That’s why Alpha Industries is widely believed to have the best bomber jackets for men.
Whether you’re looking for a cropped bomber jacket, oversized bomber jacket or a vintage bomber jacket look, there’s an Alpha Industries style to suit your preferences—one that also allows you to wear a piece of history.